Buckmark - only had one and only for a short time but it was a good pistol.
- Trigger was decent, "better" than any out of the box Ruger Marks I've owned but not head and shoulders better.
- They make them in more variations than Ruger which is saying something.
- The grip panels are used to hold springs and things so if you take them off be careful to keep track of what falls out.
- Looks like about half of the models offered come with some type of rail already mounted so putting a dot sight on wouldn't be a problem Bonus is that the rail doesn't interfere with the rear sight.

Ruger Marks - Waders covered those well but I'll add a few points. I've owned about 18 of those in Mk II, III and IV so can speak with some experience.
- Rating out of the box trigger pull in order of good to bad it follows the evolution of the brand - II is better than III and III is better than IV. The Mark IV trigger is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord, you'll need an expensive trigger kit and some atonement for your sins isn't a bad idea either. The goods news is that the Volquartsen kit will improve the trigger to something very good and there are a couple of great youtube videos which show you step by step how to install it. A fellow could easily live with a II trigger and make your peace with a Mk III if you remove the magazine disconnect.
- Mounting a dot sight. The II is not drilled and tapped so mounting a rail will add the d&t expense and hopefully you know a non-hack gunsmith who can do that. The III and IV come drilled and tapped and Ruger includes a scope base with them, or if not they're cheap to buy.
- Burris makes a neat little mount for their Fastfire sights which replaces the rear sight and is super easy to install so if you go with Burris the d&t isn't needed.
- Re-assembly of the Mark II and III really isn't a nightmare but keep a few good cuss words handy for at least the first time you try it.* The Mark IV is easy-peasy, like putting an AR upper on the lower.
- I only have one Mk IV and the upper and lower halves mate well but it's good to know that some don't, something to check before buying if you can.
- I'm left handed and originally applauded the ambi-safety on the IV but its location isn't all that convenient and it got in the way of my grip so I took it off. Ruger includes a little replacement washer if you remove it.
- Like a 10/22, everybody and his brother makes aftermarket stuff for the Marks so if you've a mind to, on down the road you can customize it to your heart's content.

Having had fun analyzing these and as much as I like my Rugers, I'd recommend the Browning for a first time buyer because of the points listed - good trigger and lots of models come with a rail - it doesn't need anything at all to be a reliable, accurate pistol right out of the box.

Haven't spoken about the S&W because I've never owned one.

* more on the fabled reassembly woes of the Ruger Mk II and III. The tricky thing everybody talks about is getting the end of the hammer strut to fit into the little dimple at the top of the mainspring plunger. It can be tricky but once you learn the proper angle to hold the pistol it's really not that big of a deal. An equal or bigger issue I've seen is getting the bolt stop pin completely seated into the upper receiver before trying to swing the mainspring housing into place. On new guns that fit can be very tight so you may need a mallet to get that stop pin loose when disassembling the pistol and then again when seating it. If it's not fully seated it's impossible to mate the hammer strut with the mainspring plunger and that's where cuss words - while very helpful to one's mental health - unfortunately do nothing to seat that pin.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!