Now here is some weird moose behavior. One has sent a lower leg and hoof into my yard two days running, via Honey HalfLab. Fresh, cut bone on both.

I wonder how they do that?

Yesterday's indicated it had been buried- I'm guessing a Honey stash.

I figured day before yesterday someone had poached that little bull that's been hanging around, but some dinner guests on their way home sent us a picture that evening of the bull just 200 yards up the road, so it wasn't him.

I'll tag on something else here from yesterday.

I took the pack out for a short walk, down the wide cut trail that borders my lot, over and down the hill to the mile-wide swamp below, then around the base of the hill on a game trail to the road and home - about a half mile.

That's about all Henry can do with his joint and leg problems. Henry is a 80-90 lb Lab/Pit mix that lives about 500 yards up the road, but we are keeping him for a few weeks while his people are Outside.

Henry and Honey were 40 yards ahead of me, when I looked to see what Chako Wunderwiener was sniffing at a couple feet in front of me, right in the trail.. He had his nose about an inch from a dead baby hare, just larger than my fist. I told him to "leave it", and he backed off a foot. The big dogs had completely missed it. Sometimes maybe it's an advantage to live with your nose 6 inches off the ground?

Not wanting the other dogs to eat it or roll in it later, I went to pick it up. When I touched it, the little bastid was off like a shot. Well, baby hares just ain't all that fast. But they sure can hold real still! If I'd known it was still alive, I had my phone camera with me.

Chako was gaining on it and would have caught it, but I yelled no and he stopped and came back from 20 feet out.

He's the most mindful Dachshund I've ever been around.

Must be something wrong with that boy.....

You can see Henry's right hind is all messed up. Need to do some trail clearing again. smile.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by las; 06/09/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.