Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Roger, my mom is 87 and we just recently got a call from neighbors and her doctor all saying she's falling down alot. We talked to her about it and she just blew it off, but it kept happening. Friends and neighbors were starting to feel burdened with checking in on her, bless their hearts they do try, but it was becoming too much to ask. Our fear was that she would fall and die in her house and no one would know for days, Happened to her brother, my uncle, and no one found him for two weeks. Two weeks in the summer with no air conditioning. He was a puddle on the floor. We didn't want that for mom.
i
We talked her into selling her house and moving into an assisted living facility where they cook for her so she won't leave a burner on, take her anywhere she needs to go, plans activities for her, and she has other people to talk to. She got a two bedroom apartment and all the care including housecleaning for under $5K a month. At least she'll be missed if she doesn't show up for a meal.

Of course she was dead set against it until I told her to think of it as a cruise ship without the seasickness LOL. Everything taken care of you just sit back and enjoy yourself and your friends. It's been difficult for her to adjust to the structure because of her independence. She's realizing her life is winding down and that is difficult too. We would have had her live with us but we are gone all day working leaving only the kid with the heart issues at home with her. Better than nothing, but not fair to him.

If a person was semi-independent and worked from home maybe. Overall, it's been difficult for mom but she has been trying very hard to have a good attitude, that makes all the difference.
My dad lives with me, has for about 15 yrs since mom got cancer back in 2007. so far he hasn't had any major mishaps driving.

OK, my advice would be to carry on, but if he's home alone hire someone to check in on him, check his blood pressure, make sure he's alright while you're out working.

LOL