A buddy of mine and I are starting to get serious about hunting elk in the fall of 2023 (two years out). We are new to elk hunting. We are dropping weight (I have shed 25 pounds with another 36 to go to get to my goal of 192). We are doing weekend conditioning hikes on the AT with backpacks anywhere from 30 to 45 lbs. Going to start weight training with free weights to build core and leg strength. We want to hunt elk in western Wyoming. Not sure where. Any elk will do, we will be thrilled to get a cow. I will hunt with a 6.5 RPM or a 280 Remington or a 300 RSAUM. Buddy will hunt with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Our thought is to apply for the elk tags at the appropriate time, in an area conducive to out of staters having a reasonable probability of success. Our transport is a 4x4 Ram 1500. We're thinking a reasonable approach is to get into an area accessible by the truck, then set up a base camp and do day trips (one or two overnights at a time) with our legs into areas where the truck can't go...
We will drive from Virginia, and plan to be out there for at least 30 days, thinking that September or October makes sense (?). We don't want to get stranded in snow.
Any thoughts on when to get tags, where to hunt, how to pull it together much appreciated.
We are not averse to guided hunts, but would prefer do-it-yourself just for the challenge. But if there is an outfitter we should consider please let us know.
Appreciate any campfire wisdom you can pass on with respect to kit, tactics, etc.