Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by kandpand
I want to try the AR15 platform but I don't know where to begin. My primary purpose for the rifle would be deer hunting and shooting at the range. I want a .223 and I plan to use a scope. I think that I would like to buy a rifle off the shelf. What do you recommend?

Cut To The Fhuqking Chase For $649.99 RINK

S/S,Floated,18" and Rifle Gas...you are there. LOTS of them in these parts.

Hint................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Regardless of what you think of Stick, today he's right. For your purposes, this is likely to be the best bang for the buck. Assembling a lower is easy. If you can operate a hammer, punch and screw driver, you can assemble a lower.

PSA SS barrel shoot a lot better than their nitride barrels. Their other line that shoots really well is the CHF (cold hammer forged) barrels made by FN. If you expect heavier range use, and like a classic look, here's another option for the same price:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-chf-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

[Linked Image from palmettostatearmory.com]

Both appear to have PSA premium BCG's, which best I can tell are make by Tool Craft, so you're basically trading the Magpul furniture and nice rail for the FN barrel. Sticks recommendation also has the 18" barrel with rifle length gas which provides a smooth recoil impulse, and and is just a joy to shoot, but the 16" mid length isn't far behind it. Both are great options, but unless you expect to but more than 3-4K rounds through it the SS is probably the better option for you.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 06/13/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell