Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
" ... I sometimes do duty as a Range Safety Officer at our club range during sight in days. I've learned to never offer unasked for advice to anyone no matter how much ammo they're wasting but will definitely stop and correct a noob holding a semi-auto pistol with the thumb wrapped over top of the shooting hand.

When I lived in Los Angeles, I had a good friend who was a Deputy Sheriff in the LASD. He was a Weapons Training Instructor with the Advanced Training Bureau. When LASD switched from the S&W Mdl. 15 revolver to the Beretta 92FS, , all deputies had to go through training with the new pistol.

Their previous training for years had been to hold their revolvers "with the thumb wrapped over top of the shooting hand." Naturally, the deputies did this with the new Berettas and naturally, more than a few had the slide in recoil slicing their thumbs. My friend said they told every deputy to NOT put their thumbs on top of the shooting hand because "that slide is made by the Gillette Razor Company." He said each instructor always carried a bunch of Band Aids to the range ... and used a lot of them until the deputies broke their old habits. grin

FWIW.

L.W.

That's what they call a self correcting problem.

Yep. It’s a short learning curve! 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~