Don't usually get into this type of discussion, but I kinda like Boddington.

Your first statement about out-of-staters and magnums, if I had paid out thousands of dollars to go on a antelope or mule deer hunt with no experience of the animal or area I would want to bring something along that I was sure would do the job also. It's always good to find something interesting though.

Col. Boddington did say big mule deer are more difficult to anchor then average ones, I suspect that is true, after all it only makes sense. He also recommended the big 30 caliber magnums for these monsters, at ranges in excess of 400+ yards. He also recommended about everything from the 30-30 up to the big 30s depending on the range and other circumstances brush, woods, etc.

This does not match your experience, talk about your "self proclaimed experts". Writers are considered experts by the reading public because editors pay them to write so we will buy the mags. Really haven't heard of any that only hunt in their own states, but in many states each year, probably because they like to hunt, like to write and it takes care of their families needs.

In each of your examples you only consider parameters that are perfect for your favorite calibers, try getting a "double lung shot" on that 350 pounder at 350 yards with your 30-30. Now remember if you miss it may be several years before you can go after it again.