It's typical politics being played. The democrats see an opening to try to wing Abbott before the next election.

Here are some of the facts:
Texas has undergone exceptional growth in the past few years. To give you an idea, at the first quarter of this year, there were 35,000 apartment units under construction in N. TX. That's not including new single family homes and the addition of businesses that are fueling the jobs. That trend is statewide.

Power plants have spring and fall outages for required upgrades and maintenance. Due to Covid, many plants trimmed back on their outage scope for the spring (2020) figuring that Covid would blow past and it could be done in the fall 2020. Except Covid was worse in the fall and again that maintenance was delayed. So this spring we have an unprecedented number of plants still in spring outage, to take care of delayed maintenance.

In addition, we have unusually hot and humid air for June. Couple this with very little wind. I'm in North TX and my wind gauge is showing a 7 day average wind speed of 2MPH. That puts a damper on any wind power.

With the number of the coal plants being mothballed across the state, Texas does need to add more dispatchable energy. I have no issue with adding wind and solar, but you also need backups.