It has a plenty accurate 18" barrel on it right now. It is a 7-08 and with it's synthetic stock balances OK. But a few more ounces up front won't hurt a bit. I have 2 R700 22" mountain rifle barrels, one a 7-08 that is a known good shooter and a brand new never fired barrel of the same contour in 308. I also have a pretty light Mauser actioned 308 with a 22 inch barrel already that shoots great. For some reason the Model 7 has become my first choice to take on most hunting trips with my 257 Roberts being backup rifle. The only other thing I am thinking of changing is the Remington trigger, it never fails to perform but the safety is hard to push off. I can't think of anything I would do with a 308 that I couldn't do with a 7-08 other than I have a bigger collection of Partitions in 30 caliber. I also have a considerable collection of brass for both cartridges. Thinking about all this I notice I have several rifles in cartridges in the same power range, 260 Remington, 7x57 only varying around a pound in overall rifle weight scoped. Logic is slipping up on me, leave the 7 alone and make the safety easier to push off. Get another Remington 700 action and put one of the barrels on it. This logic is screwing with my looney status.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]