I will say that I have worked with that colt since he was a few hours old even flagging him out while he was sucking on his mama. I had him standing pretty quitely tied while saddling and line driving in my arena. He would whoa, back and turn while saddled,with me on lines,but not on his back.

I also workrd him from a saddled mule, loose in the arena, pushing and pulling on the saddle and pushing him on the side like you would when riding. He would step over on the ground when I used a spur in my hand, appying it where you would with your leg when riding. He would do all this at home before the trainer got him.

I want to get a solid start on him while he is 2. When they get older they get a lot tougher. I am all for gentle persuasion when training if I can.

I read a story about a guy who hired a man to plow with his mules. When it was noon they came in and unharnessed to water and feed. The boss said " Watch out for that mule, he will pull the lead away from you and run to the tank, you can't hold him"

The hired man didn't say any thing he just got the mule unharnessed , lead him to the door and let him break away for the tank, except he had the lead rope tied to a good post. The mule got stopped hard, but the next day you could lead him to the tank, no more pulling away.

When I ride I ask lightly for what I want, If no response, I'll ask more assertively, if I still don't get a desired response I'll try another tack.

If we still ain't getting along I will stop that request and do something we can and will do untill a good stopping point. Then tomorrow we'll come back and win the battle if it comes to that. I will not allow a mule to get in the habbit of refusing me if it knows better.

I will quit a battle if I don't a good end, but I will plan ahead to win the goal. The goal being a quite, responsive, useful and safe mule.