Originally Posted by troutfly
Hey guys,
I recently installed a new stock on a Ruger Tang Safety chambered in 338 Win Mag. Stock is a new new OEM walnut that was drop in perfect. The old stock was split under the tang plus a chunk of wood was missing on the right side at the tang.
Yesterday, we are out shooting the rifle for the first time since it was re-stocked. 220gr Fed factory loads. 11 shots later and fer crying out loud, there was a chunk of wood missing on the right side of the tang. On the left side under the bolt there was a crack that, if we hadn't noticed the damage already, would likely have resulted in another chunk of wood broken off. I haven't taken the action out of the stock yet so I don't know if there is a split under the tang but I wouldn't be surprised.
Recoil was "authoritative" but not excessive for a 338 WM.
Ideas?? Being an OEM stock for a discontinued rifle, was the wood dried out?
I understand that Ruger d/c the wooden stock on early Alaskan/African 375 Ruger's due to splitting issues. Are we dealing with a similar issue?
Thanks,
Jeff

Maybe after having 2 stocks crack out you might be smart enough to put 2 and 2 together and figure out they need to be properly glass bedded to keep this from happening. Have you never read posts regarding this?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA