I've owned two .280's, and still have one. And a 7X57, and a couple of 7 Rem Mags.
Frankly, the desicion was made over the other '06 cases, like the .270, or the '06 because I still had lots of 7 mm components, including lots of .280 brass. Your bullet choice means far more than a few feet per second or a few grains of bullet weight, etc.
My latest info is the DM Remingtons are working OK. I still don't want one. I much prefer the ADL style, if I can get it that way. My only BDL Remington has an M40A1 steel floorplate and trigger guard on it. I have a bad habit of bouncing my rifles on the rocks, etc. My Ruger .280 has a steel FP & TG waiting for the gunsmiths attention. I've got nothing agaist the Remington rifles. I will not spend the money on a Sako extractor unless I need to go from a standard to a magnum bolt face. The Sako style extractor is just easier to do. They don't extract better.
I like the Ruger choice the best. And the Browning the least. JJHack once posted that he has seem far more non Mauser Brownings fail in the field than any other make. Not for me. He reported that he has never seen a Winchester or a Ruger fail. That's for me.
I like the Ruger trigger design because it is simple and easy to maintain. If I can't get it reworked to my satisfaction, there is always an aftermarket availible. I really like their scope mounting system, and their action features. Sometimes their safetys need a touch of clean up to function smoothly. Not at all hard to do. I understand from our friend Mule Deer that their latest barrels are really good. I have no problem with their SS finishes. I use spray on, or baked on, flat paint on all my serious rifles anyway.
Frankly, I'd find a rifle I liked best first. Then I'd decide on the chambering. I odviously like the .280 round. But to say it has something special over the others in it's class really isn't true. E