almost every explosion recorded in any mill was caused by accumulated dust being ignited by a metal on metal spark. some of those mills the guys were over their shoe tops in dust. they had black lung far worse then coal miners.
if a person is even 10% above street IQ today he can make BP safely. i have made BP since the mid fifties and never have had any problems.
except the time i went fishing with little bottles of BP in one hand and a quart of JD in the other. still have a piece of glass in my ass from that.
i fired 20 round ball yesterday from my Mortimer flintlock using my ffg. 18 rounds from 50 yards in a 4 inch circle. the other 2 were at 6 inches. (sweat got in my eyes, my story and i'm sticking to it!)
i mix my batches one pound at a time in a ball tumbler for 8-12 hours. in my experience that is what makes it the best.
in shot for shot test over a chrono my powder is generally 50 fps slower then goex, charges measured by weight. volume measured my mix is 20% more. i figure they press their pucks with high pressure, giving more density.
i am happy with mine. jm2cents .

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~