Found some stuff I hadn’t seen in a long time. A lot more appreciation for them at 49 than I did at 29.
Very well used old dexter.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Also a cigar box with his last pipe, last tin of tobacco, his razor, a pocket watch strap, couple old pics of him with a rifle and dog from ‘66 and grandmas watch. Granny gave it all to me instead any of his three sons, my uncles. Pretty cool she thought that much of me. I got his Remington 121 pump and a revelation .410 too.

He died in ‘81 in a car crash when he was 63. Logged with a team of horses a large portion of his life, had a log truck and hauled timber later, then bought and operated an Exxon station for a long time. I used to spend saturdays there and he kept a milk crate under the pinball machine for me and always a big handful of quarters to feed it.
He taught me how to fish. Raised meat rabbits, taught me how to chop a chickens head off with a hatchet, shoot a pig behind the ear with a .22lr, had a bunch of bench leg beagles for rabbits, a huge garden and an orchard of fruit trees.
Had a pipe in his mouth at all times. Never drank a drop of alcohol because his dad was a drunk. His dad, my great grandfather had 27 children by two wives, his last when he was 84yo. and most of his income was from moonshine. Got a pic of him with his foot up on the bumper of a willys jeep and a pistol in his right hand.

I have his tackle box and worn out zebco 404 too. Thinking a lot of this needs to go on the wall at the cabin with the pics I have of him.

He was a hell of a man. Told me he could never work for another man and always said “if a man has a 3/4 ton pickup he’ll always have work”. Served in the navy in WWII. They don’t make em like him anymore….. wish I’d had time to spend more time with him. I was 9 when he died.

Last edited by jackmountain; 06/29/21.