In April we replaced our 15 year old AC condenser. It started needing a little freon a few years back but a lot more last year. That stuff's expensive. Our local dealer who's been in business here for 40 years who installed the old one and serviced it annually. recommended replacing it. We said ok and he Installed a new Guardian 5 ton condenser which on paper is supposed to be more than enough for a two story 2200 sq ft house,

Problem is that it doesn't cool as well as the old one and after it's run a while makes a low metallic whine. It's noticeably warmer in the house, three or four degrees higher and on hot days it will run from noon till well after midnight. Can't wait to see the June electric bill.

I've had their service techs out here three times. They ran some kind of tests and both times two different techs said it was running hot. This was in the morning before the day started warming up. He, the dealer, then had them check the dampers, filter and some other stuff. When I asked him why he checked that stuff since everything seemed to work ok with the old unit I didn't get an answer. He said he'd get back to me. So far, two weeks, nothing

Hate to go to court over $3400 but if a new 5 ton unit won't cool the house as well as the 15 year old one it replaced that was using freon I'd say we've got a defective condenser. Is Guardian usually considered a good condenser?

Last edited by 43Shooter; 07/01/21.