Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Originally Posted by Plumdog
The veterinarians around these parts (Florida) are pushing Heartworm and Flea & Tick meds that seem mighty costly to me, especially the flea and tick stuff. Ivermectin is in the heartworm meds, and afoxolaner in the flea and tick stuff. What do the old school pros do to beat the cost? I'm kinda new to dog care, and didn't own one for fifty years. My best buddy is a Mastiff-Anatolian mix that is a real sweetheart.

If you can't afford to treat your dog with what he is supposed to be treated with, Then for godsakes get rid of him. If you had ten or twenty dogs running around then i could see your point in trying to save money but you have ONE.

Even a filthy rich guy can try to save money on things that seem priced out of line. The heartworm meds are not that expensive, but the flea and tick stuff is insane. Also, the heartworm med he was first prescribed came with a garantee! If the dog were ever to get heartworm and you had kept records, the vet would treat the condition at no cost. That seemed to me what a extended warranty on a vehicle is like. Then at the next prescription renewal, they recommended a different brand! The whole thing smelled funny to me, so that is the reason for my question. Also, the topical pour-on Ivermectin for cattle caught my eye, I have no intention of using it. But I might use the horse wormer method if enough evidence is shown that it is a safe and viable option.
I won't pay 53 bucks for plywood to build a chicken coop when scraps are in the dumpster. Just sayin'