There you go, Shaman...

Once I got my chronograph, I found that working up loads with a chronograph is soooo much better & easier done than working them up withOUT a chronograph.

Without one, you can't determine what gain in velocity is realized by each incremental increase in the amount of powder used in the round. When I get within a couple of grains of the published maximum powder load, I change my "incremental increase" in the powder load from .5 grains down to just .2 grains of powder... or if the powder charge is less than 30 grains, I often lower the powder charge change to just .1 grain of incremental increase in the powder load and "creep up" on the single best load for that particular rifle and caliber.

It is amazing to watch what happens to the size of the groups as the muzzle velocity changes... and, of course, if you aren't using a chronograph, you can't truly note HOW MUCH of a velocity change there is and/or what happens to the group size as the velocity changes.

The majority of the time, you can readily SEE the size of the group get smaller and smaller as you approach what I call "the sweet spot" in the velocity range of the loads you're testing. This "sweet spot" may or may NOT be at or near the maximum powder load (aka "maximum velocity for that type of powder").

Generally, I've found the "sweet spot" for a given powder tends to extend over about a .4 to .6 grain range within which the groups stay about the same size or increase/decrease very slightly in size. More or less rifle powder on either end of that "sweet spot range" results in the groups enlarging. This is where a chronograph really helps in load development because it allows you to see when you pass the most accurate velocity range ("the sweet spot")... and it allows you to accept or reject a given accurate load because the MV is not as high as you wish.

You also notice that when you change the brand of primer, the velocity often changes as well... as does the "sweet spot" in the rifle's velocity range.

Frankly, I can't see how anyone could determine their "best hunting load" if they don't use a chronograph which enables them really "know" what kind of velocity their various loads are giving them... and further allows them to compare MV with group size which enables them to determine the best accuracy with the highest velocity FOR that accuracy.

One added interest... if you chronograph any "factory loads", you may find they have a CONSIDERABLY lower muzzle velocity than "advertised".

Think HARD about getting that chronograph, my friend... you'll love it!!!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...