Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by waterrat
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

I just replaced two Wolff Triangle Tapers with two more of the same. Been using them for about thirty years now and still happy with them.

Same here,,,,fishy lines,,, many huge rainbows on Orvis Rainbow Plus / #6 Triangle Taper with huge caddis,,mouse patterns here on the Copper River!

Same here, but for different reasons. I favor short rods because most of my local venues are brushy small creeks, and the Triangle Tapers suit me and my casting/fishing style. I never have a desire to punch huge flies through the wind, rather sub-#20 midges are my typical choice, and the TT allows for delicate close range presentations - yet has the moxie to handle a heavy fly at longer range if called upon.

None of my rods are over 7' in length, and primarily bamboo, so your mileage may vary.

My only gripe is the cost. But lo and behold, the 4wt TT floater I just bought wasn't very much more expensive, if at all, than the one it's replacing which I bought longer ago than I care to admit to.

We must be brothers from another mother, Gary. Our styles are about identical. It's rare that I have more than 10-15 feet, or so, of line past my rod tip...and most times, less than that. Truth be told, I probably roll cast more than anything. I have longer and heavier rods, from when I was going to Alaska every year, but my go to trout rod is a 7' Orvis 1oz 4wt. Even dinks play like a tiger on it.

Regrettably, my grandad's bamboos all hang on my brother's wall and don't get fished. Even if he would let me, I'd be too anxious that I might break a tip or worse. I content myself with taking his deer rifles for a walk each year. But I digress

I'd like to talk to David on our trip, about the possibility of building me a similar light 7' 3wt or 4wt.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/18/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.