Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jerry,

I suspect the same reason is why aoudad have the same reputation for being tough to kill. Maybe 3-4 years ago a good friend and fellow gun writer had booked an aoudad hunt, as I recall one of the free-range hunts on public land in West Texas. His guide, like many Texas guides, recommended a .375 H&H.

But my friend had a beautiful "traditional" custom rifle, based on some sort of short CRF action with a fancy walnut stock. It was a .250 Savage, and shot very accurately with 100-grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. He asked (1) if the bullet would penetrate sufficiently, and (2) if it was enough for aoudad. I told him my experiences with the and he decided to take the .250.

They found a big ram about 250 yards away, and my buddy shot it through both lungs. The ram ran about 50 yards and fell over dead.

And here is an Aoudad shot with a .30-06 and a downloaded ( to .308 levels..) basic 150 gr. Hornady spire point. This one went 10 ft.

Were I to pick one bullet for the lower 48 it would be a 180 Gr. Hornady...but lots of others would work..

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe