Originally Posted by Gledeasy
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

If that's what the cost is without the generator itself and "just" for a setup to plug a backup genset into, then yes, it sounds high. Then again, these aren't normal times.

Around every corner prices seem out of hand. Just can never decide if it's me thinking that or the reality. It was just installation cost. I knew what the unit was going to cost. But mentally the installation came out twice as much as I thought the high end would be.

Originally Posted by funshooter

Womens are never happy or satisfied with what you got when they get a bit paranoid.
What can ya do?????

My wife gets paranoid, then sees the price tag to get prepared and suddenly isn't so paranoid 😆.

At the least I'll get my house set up to plug in a portable generator. Anyone ever do that themselves? Or just better to hire someone? Then again those dang installation costs might be high.

I have a 5kw gasoline generator.

I installed a #8 awg 220volt weatherproof drop cord at my incoming power outside box. I tied it into a 60 amp 220volt breaker.

**You have to have a procedure to do the following **.

When the power fails and if for a suspected long term:

1. Open the Main incoming breaker from the utility power and tape over the toggles.
2. Open the 220 breaker that the gen set will back feed power into for your home.
3. Open the 220 volts breakers that feed your aircon, electric heat, oven and stove (the big users).
4. Start your gen set and allow it to warm up.
5. Close the 220 volt breaker that the gen set feeds to.

You should have plenty enough power to run lights, fridge and freezers, ceiling fans, tv, etc. (110 volts users).

To refuel the gen set:
Open the 220 volts breaker that it feeds, stop the gen set, refuel, check oil, restart and close the 220volt breaker that the gen set feeds.

When main utility power is reestablished:
1. **Stop the gen set and unplug it from the cord that feeds the 220volt breaker**. Secure the weatherproof cover over the drop cord.
2. Remove the tape from the incoming main breaker and close the breaker restoring utility power to the home.
3. Close all remaining breakers that were opened.

Others here may have more advice concerning using portable gen sets.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.