I load most of my .357 cases with 38 sp loads. 4-4.5 gr of W231, or Universal, 158 gr cast. I buy the cast from Brazo in the 38 sp load hardness they have now days.I have shot thousands of rounds with these loads in my 686, Ruger BH,and Rossi 92.They run about 800-900 fps and a bit more in the Rossi.With the Universal, I get slightly better accuracy using a CCI SP magnum primer
Serious.357 loads get 158 gr XTP.s and 13 -13.5 gr of 2400.

I would think that loading the 175 gr cast would defeat the purpose of having a light load, but using your 38 load behind that bullet will push your velocity up, if your 38 sp load isn't very hot and you were using a 158 gr in those loads.

Using a 38sp +p load with a 175gr cast is going to be fairly snappy so you wouldn't want to up the load powder wise without creeping up to it. I think a lighter load of 2400 would suit better if you are looking for more case volume, but I have never had an ignition or accuracy problem.

Last edited by saddlesore; 07/22/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles