TimZ: Yes I have been on a roll for the last three weeks now (guns, knives, scopes and ammunition).
I am NO expert but the Smith & Wesson Model 35-1's (the first and last configuration change) are in fact built on the same "J" frames as the latter era Model 34's that are most common. Some early Model 35's (no dash) are built on "I" frames as I understand the earliest Model 34's were built on as well.
The most obvious difference in the Model 35's versus the Model 34's is that the Model 35's all/only came in 6" barrel lengths - and thus were called "the Model of 1953 22/32 Target".
Whereas the Model 34's came in 2" and 4" barrel configurations.

Okie john: Your contention is the opposite of what my observations and experiences made me conclude.
The Model 35's were only made from 1953 to 1973 and again it is VERY RARE that I see one for sale - and I "get around"!
I have tried to find or figure out the quantity produced but no definitive answer has been found by me.
Yep when I get done reloading today I have to get "aligned" with one of the Smith & Wesson sites.
Gave up on one of them - they wanted WAY to much personal information.
By the way WTF are YOU doing, still in seattle, taxington???
Get out of that schithole ASAP and NEVER look back - you my friend only live once!
The second happiest day of my life occurred 24 years ago when I looked in the rear view mirror of a moving van and saw seattle, taxington receding in the distance.
Thanks for your input though and do YOU have any ideas on production numbers of the Model 35's?

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy