Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by keith
Some powders have a pressure spike, be careful.

I use AA#5 for +P loads on 185g Gold dots and 200g Speer HP(old flying trash cans)

Contact Wolf or Brownell's for 24 Lb springs or your frame will really take a beating.

Note: use new brass for +P loads

Borderline complete bullshlt.

First of all, why the tard comment about pressure spikes? If you had some actual information you should've explained it.

Secondly, the guy is reloading for a revolver. And if he was loading for a 1911, a 24lb recoil spring is way too much.

Lastly, +p is only 2kpsi above the standard 21kpsi - you dont need new brass.

The only thing that wasn't BS is that AA5 is a good powder for +p in 45acp. But that's not a powder he has available.

+P loads can turn into +++P loads, throat geometry, bore dia. Best to use published data only, carefully examine brass case heads, just like you would a rifle. Some powders are not suited for +P loads.

I realize that the guy is reloading for a revolver, but MOST readers will interpret the info on +P for their Glocks, Kimbers, and Colt's.

After a LOT of experimentation, the 24 lb spring is what is best for my Kimbers, and I have a box full of springs AND a Spring Tester. I shoot the 185's at 1200 and the 200's at 1100. I have NO failures using 24 lb springs on 220g hard cast at 850 fps., Recoil velocity of the slide is plenty to cycle and feed.

Used brass is often range pick up brass fired in unsupported Glock chambers. This brass that has been fired in unsupported chambers is prone to KaBoom's. While a KaBoom will completely destroy a Glock, A Kimber of mine only had the magazine blow out the bottom, barrel locked up, but the Pistol never shot the same. So, if you like taking chances with range pick up brass with +P pressures, then go for it. We have seen several KaBoom's over the years in our IDPA matches from Range pick up brass, one brand of foreign manufacturer in particular. Also, you never know how many times range pick up brass has been shot.

While the OP is shooting a nice revolver, the vast majority of readers will apply the info for their semi auto's.

Kaboom's are REAL. Extractors fly to parts unknown, magazine parts will cut your legs. ON plastic pistols, the grips disintegrate.

Be SAFE in your choices, and Kabooms do not happen in a Revolver, that I have ever heard of.