Originally Posted by CFVA

My gripes with the 938 are the lack of grip safety and the triggers have been heavier than I thought on the handful that I've looked at.

As far as the 365, the "X" model felt best in my hand. From looking at Sig's website, is it correct to assume one could buy a standard 365 and put an extended magazine in it to essentially have an X model that can be used with the 10 round mags to make it a little easier to conceal if need be? And what's the deal with the flat triggers on some models? I've never owned anything with a flat trigger and don't understand the theory behind one.

My buddy carries a 938 daily. I've shot it a fair amount. It's a nice little gun. His has been 100% reliable. I don't want one, however, because I don't want an external safety on sub-compact EDC pistol. (I used to own a P238 (the 938 but chambered in .380 ACP) and I could never comfortably and consistently hit that safety when trying to draw and shoot quickly. It's probably a personal problem, but since it was my life and my money I tripped the 238). Second, as others have mentioned, the capacity of the P365 cannot be ignored. What's the old saying--No man in a gunfight wishes he had a smaller gun and fewer bullets. If space allows, you can go 15+1 with any P365, and standard mags still have a 4-round advantage over the standard 938 mags.

As for triggers--it doesn't much matter. The theory behind the flat trigger is that the shooter maintains a consistent contact with a flat trigger shoe no matter where your finger ends up when you draw the gun. The flat trigger also breaks the same no matter where your finger is (at least that what the tacticool crowd says--I've never done any testing myself). The standard curved trigger will provide a shorter trigger reach. But, like I said, it doesn't matter much for us mere mortals. You'll likely never perceive an "advantage" with a flat trigger, the issue will just be whether you like it.

I carry a P365XL daily right now. I used to carry a G19. I might go back to the G19, but I shoot the 365 pretty well, and I like the smaller size. I used to own the standard P365 but after dinking around with the 365XL, I just liked it more. With 12+1 capacity, I have the same number of rounds as a guy carrying a 938 and a spare mag.

My vote for your money and your life is to go with the one that gives you the most confidence. The gun that makes you smile as you draw it. Get that one and don't look back. But, if after a time, you feel you chose the wrong gun, go buy the other one and shoot them side by side. Sell the one that comes in second. You'll lose $50 or so, but you'll get $50+ of fun doing the comparison. There's no downside. If it were me, I'd start with the P365 of your choosing (just don't get the SAS model! That sighting system sucks. Bad.) Get some extended mags and carry the biggest mag that you're willing to schlep every single day.

Good luck!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.