Originally Posted by Old_Tucson
One does not need match accuracy to hunt at reasonable distances. If you are getting 1.5 to 2" at 100yds you should be able to hit lungs at 300yds. Too many people are looking for bragging rights on paper. During the 60's and 70's Weatherby was promoted 1.5" group guarantees which were one of the most accurate rifles of the times.

George

That's funny because my 1956 model 70 shoots far better than that:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's with old school bullets^^^. A 2" rifle off of the bench is not going to put them in the boiler room at 300 yards, when shot in most field positions. That's why guys chase better accuracy. I strive for sub moa 5 shot groups, to prove the rifle is consistent. To not want better accuracy from your rifle and load is akin to being happy with making minimum wage for the rest of your life. If guys shoot match grade bullets and make clean kills, kudos to them. I'm not going to criticize them for the bullet they choose to use. Hell, if I wanted to shoot a buck at 700 yards, I'd be using this combo:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's an ELDM in one of my 6.5 cm rifles. I've shot that load at 500 yards and put 10 shots into 2", so like someone else said, this isn't the 1960's anymore. Would I trust that bullet and load on a deer at over 700 yards? Hell yes..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA