This is something that I have been thinking about doing for a long time and I finally put the wheels in motion this year.
Although I live just outside of the Adirondack Park, most of my deer hunting for the past 15 years has been in the Park, in the High Peaks Wilderness Area. All of my hunting has been day trips, occasionally spending the night in Tupper Lake for a whole weekend of hunting, but mostly just a day here and there. It’s a 70 mile trip to get to where I park the truck.
I’ve been wanting to set up a tent camp for a long time, but it just never materialized. This year I decided to do something about it. I ordered a 12x14 wall tent from the Wall Tent Shop in Moscow Idaho. I got an 8’ awning off the front also. The Outfitter 4 wood stove and hot water tank will provide heat and hot water. Cots, pads, new sleeping bags, cooking gear, propane stove and all sorts of miscellaneous gear have been arriving daily.
No way I’m packing all of this gear into the back country on my back. I’ve got a Grumman 16’ deep v, with a 20 hp Yamaha to get me to where I want. Lots of lakes and rivers provide easy access to the back country.
My wife and I are getting started with a few 3-4 day pleasure trips this summer and early fall. After a few camping trips under my belt hopefully the deer camp will come together nicely.
I haven’t done this in 30 years, and to say I’m excited is an understatement! I’ll be adding pics as I go, and j would love to hear back from you guys.