I just bought a Win model 70 target, with a factory clip slot receiver. If I'm doing my research correctly, it dates to 1969. 30/06 caliber

Brought it by my gunsmith, who's first reaction was "these are nice guns". It did not go well from there. Here are some of the things he noted:

Headpace, it closed on a nogo guage, but not a field guage
Crown was damaged..rifling was still good
Incorrect sight base at muzzle, and modified rear base
Aftermarket trigger, thinks it's a Canjar
Rear cap on the bolt ws installed incorrectly, safety was indistinct
multiple hairline cracks in the inlet area
Trigger guard and floorplate were sitting to deep, causing the floorplate to need to be foced shut(impinging on the stock)

Gunsmith setting the barrel back a turn, rechamber and recrown wasn't a problem.

The stock issues gave him pause though, seemed to think it wasn't worth the effort to start chasing all these issues.

I have a steel tube Weaver T10 I wanted to put on it, to have a sort of 70's era sniper rifle.

I could buy an HS Precision or McMillan stock, which would fix multiple problems, but then I'd loose the 'era correct" look/feel. Or I could wait it out and see if a factory target stock pops up for sale somewhere. Or just sell it, with full dsclosure and move on. I really wasn't looking for another project, and I would have to wait awhile before I could get around to having the work done.

What do you guys think?

"Good Landing, good fight, good luck"......James M Gavin 09Jul43