I grew up with a friend who's parents had 12 mature trees on their property, each worth $1k toward the property value.............in the 60's.

We had fights with them, nothing like getting hit with a nice black avocado, especially the stone inside!

I had no real use for them for years, they were like those little button mushrooms. Blah, not much taste, sorta slimy. In other words.......what's the big deal. I'd eat them but, standard issue on a carne asada burrito in my area of SoCal was carne, pico salsa, and guac. I always told them to leave off the guac and they would always look at me funny. I'm still mostly that way.

In the 90's, while a starving student, I stopped on the way back to school after Christmas vacation at my uncles place, where he had a commercial avocado orchard above Lawrence Welk's golf course. As I was getting ready to leave he said " come out to the garage, I've got something for you" and he hands me a lug of avocados. I learned to like them............especially when they're ...................free!

Friends I knew used to steal grocery sacks of them when we were kids, and sell them on the streetcorner for $10 so they could get smokes and stuff.

I guess when one lives around them, they're not as big a deal.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?