Doesn't matter a helluva lot what you poke a deer with. Hit it right and it becomes meat. If I were starting out today I would be quite happy using my Browning Low Wall single shot .223 for deer and nothing else. Deer aren't mythical creatures with Kevlar hides and titanium bones. With each passing decade of my life I've gradually downsized the calibers I hunt with. Even stuff like the six or eight .30-06's I own rarely get shot with anything other than reduced cast bullet loads anymore. (The exception is the Garand, but that heavy beast with its wide butt plate and gas system makes a pussy cat out of the '06.)

I love the .250 for its efficiency all out of proportion to its size. I like the .22HP for its novelty. I dislike the .300 for its sharp bite in lightweight thin-stocked rifles. I'm forever thankful that Savage never found a way to shoehorn magnum cartridges into their delightful little rifles.

I related a couple anecdotes about the author of that story "The Spiteful Crack of the .250-3000" over in the hunting rifle forum. Jim Bashline was a heckuva guy.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty