I think the appropriate choke for most upland birds ( that are flushing away from the gun ) is dependant on the reaction time of the shooter. If you have quick reflexes, and are hunting over a pointing dog, an open choke works best. Skeet choke is a very good choice for such shooters. But others, who are more deliberate, who are flushing their own birds or just plain slow, should use modified or even full.

And another observation - people put a lot of faith in the markings on barrels and choke tubes. What's written there doesn't mean as much as most folks would like to believe. For instance, have a Browning Citori 16 ga. that has invector choke tubes. The "Skeet" choke is light modified diameter, and is certainly tighter than the Improved Cylinder. Measured fact, with a Skeet's bore gauge purchased from Brownell's. And confirmed with patterns on paper. I have two such choke tubes so It's not an exception of one. I shoot quick, and I often hunt with that gun fitted with IC in the bottom and Skeet in the top, even for open country late season sharptails and huns and pheasant. Works for me.

Last edited by castnblast; 08/23/21.