Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by dingo

For hunting pigs I like the 300gn Speer JHP & 52gns H4198 for 2160fps.

Does that bullet stay together at that velocity?

That bullet is probably the toughest non-premium Cup-n-core there is in that weight. I've ran them up to 2200 fps and they've held together. The Hornadys were good for about 1900 fps then started showing signs of rapid expansion, but something hit with a 300 grain 45 caliber bullet reacts to it anyway.

My preferred bullet in the 300 grain class is the Speer, used to be called the Unicor but now sold as the Plinker. It's a sleeper.

I have killed deer with the 300 gr. hollowpoint Winchester factory load. I doubt it could be bumped up in velocity much before starting to come apart. I have also used the 350 gr. Hornady at about 1850 fps and it did the work but judging from the exit hole it might be a bit tough for smallish deer. A Hornady Tech told me it was designed for the .450 Marlin and faster velocities. However 400 gr. Speer and 405 gr. Remington bullets at 1800 fps surely put a whooping on deer and hogs.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.