Kind of a generic rant/question.

I have a Lexus IS250 AWD. I noticed some oil drips and it smelled like gear oil. Real hard to see a lot under there since its so low to the ground. I couldn't tell where the oil was coming from because of course it smeared all over. I suspected pinion seal. I took it to Lexus thinking it would be no big deal to diagnose. They quoted me $2300 and said they had to pull the motor and tranny to get to it! I have never heard of such a cluster F in my life.

I contacted another shop that only deals with Toyota and Lexus. They quoted me $785 and said you don't have to pull the motor and tranny.

I am going to jack it up this weekend and try to see if it is doable myself. I have done similar seals before on my Tacoma and it wasn't a big deal. You literally unbolt drive shaft, pull flange, hook the gasket and replace.

Assuming you don't have to pull the motor, why in the F would Lexus say that? I can see a private garage trying to screw some dumbass, but seems like the dealer would not play that game. What am I missing here?