Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
In my experience the 2.5x8 is too short for me on a long action. I would need a rail type base on a long action.

Agreed. As good a scope as it is, it is short for a long action. It will [probably] span a long action with normal rings, but it will end up where it ends up with next to no room for back and forth adjustment for eye relief. Even on a short action, extended bases or rings, or a pic rails, may be desirable to get it where you want it. On a long action, you WILL need a rail, or extended bases or rings to get it where you want it.

That said, Leopold's various VX-3 in 2.5-8 have always been great. I've switched out several Burris scopes for VX-3HDs and now have several in 2.5-8 and 3.5-10. I have no complaints at all. I don't really care for the CDS-ZL knob on top, but it's not obtrusive and I have just set mine to forget.

I've never used a Z3, but looking at the dimension, the 3-9 is actually 1/2" shorter than the Leopold VX-3HD 2.5-8. So, I 'm not sure it will span a long action any better than the 2.5-8.

Of course, the way rings mount on a Tikka it may be a non-issue with that rifle, I don't know. But these shorter scopes can present an overcome-able challenge on more traditional open receiver long actions.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 09/03/21.