Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by rickt300
A Remington 700 SA. I have a crapload of the standard ball ammo, hoping to get the best possible out of it. I have one rifle chambered in 7.62 and it makes me happy if that ammo crowds 2 inches in it. It would just be training ammo but want the rifle to handle sleek bullets in the 150 to 180 grain range. A guy bet me his M1A can outshoot any bolt gun. I want to beat that guy also.

Standard ball ammo, depending on the batch, may not shoot all that great even out of a good rifle. Are you going to compete against him with ball? If so then at least sort it for runout.

You may also want to put a mic on the bullets of that ball ammo. If you look at a lot of prints for "match" reamers the freebore section just ahead of the case mouth is 0.3085" which is generally a good thing. The problem is I've measured some military fmj projectiles at 0.309" on the shank.

The ball ammo is just there for trigger time, might give him some to shoot! Hah he might go for it. I may pull some of it down and work up another load using the primed cases and powder but a different and better bullet. He wouldn't go for me using my 260 though says it has to be a "military" caliber. This barrel is going to be used just for shooting in general, cast bullets, match bullets, hunting bullets, NATO ball. Knocking down my vast backlog of bullets before I get too old to do it.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]