Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
I’ve been to lots of big cities. LA, San Diego, Seattle, Portland, NY, Boston, Dallas, Miami, Chicago, etc., etc. I’ve never really thought Anchorage was as a bad as the out of towners make it out to be. It’s definitely not Alaska, it is a city, but making it out to be some war zone schithole just tells me you haven’t been many places.

Couldn't agree more. Almost anywhere you go in Anchorage you are in a relatively safe neighborhood. The rough areas, like Mt. View, Fairview, etc., are not THAT rough, most of the time, and they are very small parts of the city. Go to any big city outside and there are huge sections where the house windows all have bars on them and you can drive for an hour and not get out of the ghetto. Houston, Denver, Kansas City, etc., seem like they are 50% ghetto now. Try to drive across town in them and the traffic is so bad you can't get anywhere unless you pay to take a toll road. I live on the south end of Anchorage and work on the north and it takes me 20 minutes to make the trip. No other city this small has two Costco's, or two Cabelas/Bass Pro's. Ocean fishing is only a few hour drive away, and you don't have to know a landowner to go hunting.

Yeah, I figure I could do worse.