Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We have large chunks of BLM and Nat Forest land with partial sections of private land scattered around through them, usually surrounding a spring but sometimes being just a rock pile. I can't explain how some of those pieces ever got claimed. Likewise, there are huge chunks of private land with pieces of public land in them, often with no public access. Anyway, even federal employees don't know where the boundaries are without some kind of instruments to locate them. OnX is a big help.

Same in Virginia. Our National and State Forests are disjointed mazes and you have to know where you are all the time. People will call the sheriff's office to complain about someone on their land in a heartbeat. There are islands of public lands completely surrounded by private land with no apparent access. This happens sometimes when the the State or US Gov't buys private parcels from willing families when someone croaks. There there are the islands of private lands in a mass of public land owned by a family that has never been wiling to sell.

Here's what a small section of the George Washington Nat'l Forest looks like just south of a section I like to hunt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]