Originally Posted by VinceM
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Just...[bleep]...Wow...

Lansky???

Really???

I used one for a long time and got good results but haven't in nearly a decade since I learned how to sharpen by hand from watching the guy in the video and maybe a couple of others. Bought an India stone, a bottle of mineral oil, and a pack of knives from the dollar store and went to town.

IF someone gave me a jig now I'd re-gift it, but many if not most prefer to go that route. Regardless of what you use, you have to sharpen all the way to the edge which I think the poster I replied to was probably not doing. Gotta make that flat disappear, raise a burr, whatever. You can't just guess and get anywhere.

Accurate bevels? Nice cosmetically, but irrelevant to cutting stuff. Consider a chisel or a plane blade which is beveled on one side and flat on the other. Serious woodworkers make them razor sharp.

Obsession with angles keep people from learning how to free hand sharpen. They know no one can hold a perfect angle and believe that to be a requirement. It isn't. Bringing two planes together to an apex and getting rid of what burrs you created in the process is.

I’m totally with you

He is correct so it would be hard not to.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.