Day 1

Our initial plan was simple. All three of us would be dropped off at the airport in Great Falls, Montana and fly together to Anchorage where we would pick up the rental SUV, run some errands around Anchorage and then spend the night at my Brother in Laws house. The airlines did not appreciate the efficiency of our plan and decided my dad should fly in six hours after Carsten and I.

We got to the airport plenty early as travelling with firearms was a new experience for me and I wanted to have time to re-adjust bags if one was a little overweight. No problems on either front and we quickly made it through check-in and security.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Carsten and I had a smooth flight to Seattle, a quick layover and another smooth flight to Anchorage. We got the rental car picked up and killed a little time hitting every gun shop we could find in Anchorage before my Brother in Law and his wife got home from work. It looked like Anchorage had the same issue with limited supplies and overpriced guns as everywhere else I have been the last couple years.

I didn’t see enough of Anchorage to get a good feel for the city but would say that a good portion of what I saw looked like a giant lower 48 Indian Reservation that happened to have some nice buildings and a BMW dealership. The number of homeless people and “camps” we saw was pretty shocking.

We made our way to the in-laws and had a nice pizza dinner from the Moose’s Tooth. They bragged it up and I have to say it lived up to the hype. Good stuff.

We chilled out for a while and Carsten worked on a little homework and got to hang out on the couch with their dog. No dogs in the house at home so this was a luxury for him.

Another quick trip to the airport to get my dad and all three of us were in Alaska together.