I have a shimano Cardiff. I don't use it. I bought it as a spare.

Define heavier braid for trolling? I run 80# Cortland exclusively and have for years. Your Cardiff will cast that no problem. 80# is kind of the industry standard. Some guys run 65# but most run 80#. If you happen to get a backlash mid cast with a 8-12oz lure it helps keep your line from snapping.

I'd use the casting rig if it were me. I don't know a single guy running spinning gear for muskies. Not saying it can't be done but it's not really the best way to go about it.

Biggest tip I can give you is to keep casting. Don't get discouraged. Never knew of anyone to catch a muskie without a bait in the water. Being that tigers are 1/2 pike id say it ups your odds of catching one. They seem to be more willing to bite. I'm sure you know by now about a muskies tendency to want to follow a bait? Always be looking 1-2ft behind your bait. When you see a fish behind it; do not under any circumstances slow the bait down so he can "catch it". Trust me. He can. Do the opposite; speed it up as fast as you can and you'll see him pour on the speed. Make him think it's getting away. They only want what they can't have and you can use this to your advantage. Same reason the figure 8 works. And you should do it after every cast. Just because you don't see a fish there doesn't mean one isn't following low. And that sudden change of direction by the boat is often enough to make one roll up and take a swing at it.

Good luck!