Let’s just be clear up front. What a covid pain in the ass. However, this is mine and Joe (Roof) and our friend Sandy’s third trip up to meet our friends from California (St Helena) with the same outfitter and we always have a great time and after missing last year we wanted to support our outfitters and friends to the north and kill some waterfowl.

We’re all vaccinated and then there was a PCR covid test and filling out the Canpass account and dealing with the disfunction of commercial airline travel we arrived in Calgary for the trip up to Stettler. Then there was the rapid test to come back to the US.

If you’re looking for a great, well organized outfitter and a very friendly family atmosphere you can do no finer than with Bob and Norma Byers @ https://www.waterfowlhuntingguides.net/bird-hunting

Up at 0400 and off to the field about 0515 Bob and the guides have reconnoitered the field or ponds before and most places are within 15 minutes. Bob’s a retired teacher and school principle so he knows, and has access too, pretty much everywhere.

A benefit is seeing spectacular prairie sunrises.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We've hunted in temps down to 10 degrees or so in the past but this year was plain balmy with days in the 70's and am's in the 40's. Frankly a little too nice as two of the days had little wind. I don't judge these trips at all by the birds killed but by the company kept and we had plenty of good shooting. Usually a mixed bag but this was an evening of ducks over a pond.

They're big fans of goldens and they did great. Here's Sam an 8 1/2 year old

Big country - with all hands helping gets the blind set up and decoys out in about 30 minutes

Sam with a goose -

We didn't take guns as they charge $150 for Browning A5 or Benelli M2 or Super black eagle rental . Makes not dealing with the $45 customs and $40+ extra bag fee a no brainer. Shells are included. Usually Bob has a couple pallets but like most they're scrambling to find some so mixed brands these days.

They have downstairs at the house all set with rooms and recreation spaces but you eat breakfast and dinner upstairs with the family. We had to go into town on Friday to get a rapid covid test to come back into the US so here we are filling out our forms.

Back to "camp" about 1000 and breakfast then everyone takes a nap and head back out for the evening hunt and a welcome beer after the guns, decoy and blind were all stowed.

We've already booked for next year and looking forward to it hopefully with 100% less Covid silliness.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated