Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I’ve got to quit saying I’m going to hunt sharp tails someday and actually go do it.

Are you my long lost twin??

I could have written that. wink

I'm far from being an expert at the prairie grouse thing, but....

Make sure you are up for some serious walking. My first experience with these birds was all too easy. I got up early, drove out to a region rumored to be good for grouse, and ten miles off the highway ran into a flock of them sitting in the edge of a field of wheat stubble. Took longer to park the vehicle than it did to collect my three bird limit. Next time out, I think I hiked 7 miles before I even saw the first bird. My experience has been that there are three avenues that your hunt will take. As above, you limit out because you are in the right place/right time. Two, you cover hell and back and need be grateful for that one straggler that sacrificed himself because he feels pity for your Herculean effort. Or you'll cover every bit of ground in front of you, only to bag your limit on the return leg, within 200 yds of the car. Much of that was probably due to my inexperience with their habits and habitats Regardless, make sure your legs are in shape for a long haul.

Also, the first few weeks of the season are the easiest. As fall progresses, the birds gather into larger flocks, and become increasing difficult to hunt. In these coveys there always seems to be sentry birds that will flush at the mere sight of you, taking the rest of the group with them - often just out of gun range. Early season you'll see singles, pairs, etc and if you do bump a large covey, often the young ones are dumb enough to stick around and will give you a chance due to them being the stragglers.

And make sure you have a good dog....or three.

I got into the 16ga thing totally because of grouse - carting a 7lb+ gun all day gets tiring. And sharptails aren't don't seem that tough - put a couple of pellets in them and they will most likely go down....and stay down. It's not been often that i've had to struggle chasing down a crippled bird. Much more likely to stay put (once down) than a pheasant.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"