I'll join in a little as the storyteller is delayed. He's much better at it than I am.

May I start out by saying that Alaskans are probably the friendliest, kindest, most helpful people I have ever met of any State I have ever visited.

I sensed no resentment from any there because of being an outsider or non-resident.
Only kind words met us and they are helpful to a fault.

I'll pick up where Jeff left off.

Not seeing any Caribout we traveled to our next 'hot spot' we hoped. There we set up camp and started glassing the area.

The first day we saw nothing, but we had high hopes and a little bit of pressure as our hunt was winding down to its last few days as the season was ending soon.

The next day, we head out, FINALLY! I see a Caribou for the first time in my life.

My first impression, they are goofy animals, seems to be no rhyme or reason for their movements and we quickly find out you will not outflank them! They are constantly on the move.

The first herd we saw consisted of about 20 and among them was a very large/big bull!

We ranged him at 650 yards. I was dialed on my scope and had crosshairs on him and ready to touch off from a prone position, but quickly had second thoughts because getting access to him seemed impossible as a lake stretched for miles length-wise between us the herd.

I passed on the shot, the caribou moved east along the lake we quickly tried to follow and flank them. HAHA! no way!

We soon had our boots filled with water and we were wet to the waist trying to cross a shallow part of the lake to flank them. Not going to happen today, disappointment as I couldn't stop thinking about that bull.

Later we bumped into some moose hunters and we told our story to them, they gave us a chuckle and said, "we use canoes to cross that lake when an animal is down."

DUH! light bulb moment hit me.
They offered us access to their canoe to use, we took them up on it, and we anticipated the next day of seeing more caribou.

pics
https://imgur.com/KHKQpwo
https://imgur.com/oS3Ef2j

NEXT DAY, Game Day.

After a fine breakfast of carbs and protein, (we were going to need it) We headed out again to find another herd of caribou a half-mile west of the herd we saw the previous day. With just a couple of days left in our season and my wife warned me to bring the meat home I was in a killing mode and knew I was going to shoot the first bull I saw, I did.

We spotted a herd of another 20 or so and I soon picked out a bull to go after.

We had a good position on them I was able to get a prone position.
Jeff soon lazed them and called out the distance. 500 yards even. I did as well, and came up at exactly 500 yards.

I was shooting a Ruger Stainless Hawkeye in 338 RCM loaded with 225 Accubonds at 2,750 mv.
My scope was a new Leupold VX3 HD 3.5-10 CDS.

I felt very comfortable with shooting at some distance as I had been practicing out to 700 yards for this hunt.

The scope was set on 10x and I dialed to exactly 500 yards. In the comfortable prone position, I set the crosshairs on the bull. I always aim where the neck meets the shoulder of an animal. I touch off, boom!

WHAP! Jeff, is watching with his bins, he calls out, "he's down!"

Another round goes into the chamber.

I know it's a killing shot but the bull acts like he wants to get up, and he shows me his butt-end. I decided to anchor him for sure.

Another shot, another WHAP! He's down for good.

Place of shot pic
https://imgur.com/NVBTOOL

Bull down pic
https://imgur.com/BbRNpuM

Not the biggest bull, but he's an eater and I respect any animal that is taken in the field.
I am truly thankful that I was given the opportunity to take one.

Trophy pic
https://imgur.com/9ldx1tA

After we knew the bull was down for good we went to get the canoe and bring it back to recover the bull.

That was no small task in itself!

Bullet performance

The Nosler 225 grain Accubond performed wonderfully. I estimated that impact velocity was about 2,100 fps.
The first bullet hit where I aimed, right at the front of the shoulder/neck, and it completely penetrated and exited leaving a 1.2" hole.
The second bullet hit a hind quarter, completely penetrating the femur and exiting itself with another 1.2" hole.

A very fine performance from the Noslers.

The load was 61 grains of N-550, Hornady brass, and Rem large rifle primer

Rifle performance

I chose to take the Ruger RCM 22" as it fits me so well and I like the medium bores for hunting. I like hitting animals with larger bullets.

Scope performance

I could not ask more from the Leupold, it performed as it should, and did. Tracking was perfect at the distance I shot.
The CDS dial suits me as I can dial immediately to the range I want.

Clothing performance

This was a great disappointment. I wore KUIU Chugach TR Rain Pants.

The first day I wore them and had them on for 3 hours and kneeled down on one knee into some soft tundra, I stood up and noticed that the pants had a 4" L shape rip in them. Nothing there on the ground to tear them and I have concluded that the pant is so thin and that KUIU uses an inferior material for these pants.

KUIU REFUSES to back their product on this.

Outside of that,

My Alaska Caribou hunt went perfect in just about every way!

I am especially thankful to those who helped us, Jeff's sister, Sitka Deer, and son for sure!
Art took two days out of his life to help us flesh hides and cut meat for our departure back to Arizona.

We had a super great time and the caribou is tasting great!!