DANNYL;
Good day to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the planet and all who matter to you are well.

While I'm not a bear expert by any stretch, they're fairly common here in our part of BC - we've had 4 different animals in the yard since July and have seen 3 other different animals out hunting since September 10th.

I'd suggest that it's exactly what my friend Paul - New 2 99's - has suggested which would be about 175lb to possibly 225lb on the hoof so to speak. Depending upon the populations in your area, it might be a male because there's no cubs and it's old enough to have cubs if it's a female.

Again as a guess I'd think it's at least 3 but not older than possibly 6 because they fill out and begin to lose ground clearance pretty fast.

If Rick's system allowed easier access, I'd throw up a couple different yard bear photos from this year to show what I mean, but around here the female will usually den with the cubs for 2 winters and then kick them lose after that. The 2 ½ year old bears then will have longer looking ears than your photo seems to show and are obviously quite leggy.

They'll fill in a fair bit in the next year if they don't starve or get cocky with an older male and get killed by him. That's why my guess of at least 3 years old.

It's somewhat dependent upon food, genetics and habitat too, as for instance the black bears on Vancouver Island get less winter than we do here so they're up eating for months longer than the interior bears. Thus they're quite often larger overall than ours will ever be.

As well, as noted by Paul, that size will make fine, fine table fare this time of year. If there's a chance it was eating dead things, I'd suggest both freezing the meat for 3 weeks before consumption and also not eating it rare, so a food safe 165° F internal temp should work.

Hopefully that made sense and was useful to you or someone out there.

All the best and good luck on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"