Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have played with the smaller binos a bit and their quality/light gathering for sure has improved over the years but they're almost too light and I never could get comfortable with them. If I come across some 8X32 or similar from an Alpha brand at a decent price I may have to give them a try. For now though I still prefer 10X42mm for general purpose stuff due to ergos and honestly....I like a little extra weight on my chest as it helps (or maybe not....I dunno) balance out the weight in my pack.

I packed only my 15x56 Meoptas and a 9+ pound rifle on a sheep hunt this year. By the end I was wishing for less weight no doubt but I am glad I stuck with the 15X56s....though I could have made my shot with a sub-5 pound open sighted .30-30. Oh well. Such is life and I will only have those same 15X binos on me next week for mule deer and elk in Idaho and I am sure my buddy will only have his 15X SLCs along. Neither of us use tripods with them either and I seem to be leaving my upper end Zeiss and Steiner 10X40/42s at home more and more for deer and elk.

There's lots to consider and everyone is different. I guess we also can get stuck in our ways.

You need some 12x42 Pures for that my man!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.