Opening day in northern New Mexico had a persistent wet snow falling above 9000 feet. But finally getting back to my elk hunt after a two year hiatus, I didn't care as I still hunted through my normal haunts. But everything was holed up - even the crows and ravens were silent. The second day had the weather system move out as it was partly cloudy with minimal wind. I traversed my same areas still not seeing any tracks in the inch snow that still remained. Moving up slowly into a semi-open aspen grove, I saw legs moving ahead at about 100 yards with definite racks already visible. At least two bulls were slowly feeding on the still remaining green grass. The Geovid confirmed the bulls at 110 yards. I continued to glass the area to make sure I saw what was present and to prevent any "pass thru" mistakes with obscured animals. Once confirmed, I selected the bull in a better position as this was going to be an exercise in threading a bullet through the trees. Now using a big aspen for a steady rest, I waited. A few steps exposed the heart/lung area through a ten inch opening. The Kimber Montana bucked a bit and the bull made a short 40 foot run and looked back in my direction, he attempted to walk away and was already swaying a bit. After another 20 feet, he slumped backwards and fell over. The second bull now bolted thru the trees and ran up the mountain. Well, that was exciting!

As I approached I could already see a bulge in the hide and sure enough I could feel a hard lump under the skin. The Havalon made short work of the recovery. This was a 140 gr. Norma factory load which now weighed 104 gr. giving me a 75% weight retention. Virtually no blood outside but there was plenty inside with the double lung hit.
This was a particularly satisfying solo hunt as I had a two year hiatus with the declining health of my Mother, political obligations, covid concerns at the ranch.

Field dressing using the gutless method was accomplished and this big boy gave me a workout. Without nearby trees to tie off a leg, it was a "wrestling match"! Five trips back to camp and the long day was over. A bonus was no black bear incidents overnight this year!

For those keeping score, the Kimber Montana (5# 2oz.) with a 2.5-8x36 Leupold. LW Talleys weighed in at 5#15 oz.. The Barneys Hunter pack did its job as always. Here are a few photos. This was my third big game animal with the 6.5 CM - the other two were a cow elk and a caribou from the Talkeetna Mts.. I too have gone thru the magnum class of calibers from the 338WM, 325WSM, down thru the 300WM's, 300WSM's, and even used the lowly 30-06 and 270Win, and the 308 Win.. This is my 21st consecutive elk and what this has proven again is something we all know - that proper placement trumps all else. It is gratifying to once again have elk meat in the freezer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/08/21.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.