I spent my first day squirrel hunting here in SE Va. Pretty much a rotten day for squirrel hunting. It rained early this morning so everything was slopping wet. It was in the mid to high 70s and humidity made it like a sauna. All the leaves here are still green and the trees are full. There was heavy overcast so the woods were dark. The mosquitoes were relentless. I walked through exactly 10,798 spiderwebs, most of them with a big red orb weaver in the middle, and most a face level. Only saw four squirrels and only got a shot at one of them, which I got. I heard several calling in the tree tops but you can't see up into the trees since the foliage is so thick. So, not an ideal day for squirrel hunting. Yet, somehow, infinitely better than work.

Lots of hickory mast falling, but very little oak. The acorns are still mostly holding on up in the trees. There are some acorns, but they are mostly red oak and it looks like the squirrels are cutting them down in bunches and feeding on them on the ground. Only a very few white oak acorns were seen.

All of my yard squirrels have warbles. So I knew what to expect out in the woods, and my only squirrel of the day did not disappoint. One of the reasons I prefer squirrel hunting after a freeze or two.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 10Glocks; 10/11/21.