Originally Posted by ribka
Ivermectin is not an anti viral?

If what's posted below is true, it appears that while it was created to be an anti-parasitic, it turns out to also be anti-viral. As for its usage, I've seen some say they take it regularly. I don't understand that. To me it doesn't make sense to take Ivermectin or Hydroxychloroquine prior to symptoms, but neither to delay once one starts showing symptoms. Just my opinion.

Clearly a minute portion of the population is more susceptible to Covid for whatever reason, that doesn't always have the obvious comorbidities. But how many of those who died waited to start any preventive treatment, or didn't have any at all until they were already in severe condition. I'd liken that logic to waiting for an invasion force to advance to the interior mainland instead of raining hellfire on them before they can establish a firm beachhead.

Someone posted this a while back: Lab experiments show anti-parasitic drug, Ivermectin, eliminates SARS-CoV-2 in cells in 48 hours

The Monash Biomedicine Discovery Institute’s Dr Kylie Wagstaff, who led the study, said the scientists showed that the drug, Ivermectin, stopped the SARS-CoV-2 virus growing in cell culture within 48 hours.

“We found that even a single dose could essentially remove all viral RNA by 48 hours and that even at 24 hours there was a really significant reduction in it,” Dr Wagstaff said.

Ivermectin is an FDA-approved anti-parasitic drug that has also been shown to be effective in vitro against a broad range of viruses including HIV, Dengue, Influenza and Zika virus.