Had a tri axle load of hardwood logs delivered one year. Guy set three black gum 6" logs on the ground, unloaded the hardwood logs on top of them so the logs weren't on the ground. Told me in case I hadn't noticed, they were black gum. Yep, noticed. So had the entire load cut/split/stacked and the gum was still laying there weeks later.

Dad came out one day, cut some of it and tried to split it. Had him pretty pizzed off. Solved that problem: Cut 'em up into 2" "hockey pucks" and once they'd dried out, would throw several in the stove at night. Suckers burned like a wad of oil soaked rags, but lasted thru the night.

Here in PA it's mostly hardwoods for the stove. Although have some friends with outdoor burners that burn pine in them.

Dead ash abounds. Locust, red and white oak are my primary choices. Been lucky the past few years to have ample supplies of the last three, tipped over from storms. Found a huge downed red oak this past spring that I haven't even gotten to yet. Over 24" at the base. Started making a trail to it back in July with the track loader and stirred up the biggest yellow jacket nest I've ever encountered. Banner year in these parts for yellow jackets in the ground. It can wait until freezing weather.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.