I have a 527 American that I bought and orginally it came with a 12 twist barrel in 223. My goal with that rifle was to shoot it like crazy as something cheap to shoot to practice with, and for my daughter to learn on. Basically the goal was to shoot the barrel out of it between the two of us. Which we did. I shot it quite a bit calling coyotes as well, and my daughter shot deer with it. Later on I decided that I wished it had a faster twist so it would handle mid-weight deer bullets better that the 12 twist, which the 12 was limited in that aspect.

I contacted James Calhoon and he put me on the wait list for a takeoff barrel. It took several months but one evening he called me and asked if I still wanted one, and I took it ($125). It was a brand new takeoff. It sat on the shelf a few years in my shop until the old barrel was finally toast. Last year I broke it down and swapped the barrel myself. I barely touched up the action to true it in the lathe, same on the barrel face. Screwed it on and headspace was perfect. Just the way I like it, just a hair on the tight side. I pulled the barrel back off and indicated the muzzle in on the lathe and threaded it 1/2x28 for my 556 suppressor (Specwar 556 K).

I have to say the old barrel always shot pretty good. But that new 9 twist I got from James has been amazing. I have custom barrels that shoot that good but I think it is probably the most accurate factory barrel I have ever owned. It will shoot pretty much anything I put through it 1/2 MOA or better. 50 Blitzkings are consistent in the .2-.3 range. 55 TTSX are solid 1/2 MOA. I use it for vermin and coyote work at night with thermal.

For a $125 barrel and a home swap job I could not be happier.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]