Beginning part of the week I went and shot some test loads for a 30 06. I bought the gun new a few weeks ago. I was using IMR 4350 and testing in the 55-57 grain range using Hornady 180 grain Interlocks. One load, the 57.4 grain load did something strange. I use 4 shot groups, and 2 bullets cut the same hole, then the other 2 cut that same hole again, but about 2 inches at the 11 o'clock position.

Today I went and shot again going in .3 grain increments around the 56-57 grain mark. I purposely did not check my records to see which charge weight had done it, thought I will focus on consistend hold. Well the 57.2 grain load did the same thing. Exactly the same, 2 bullets cut the same hole, but this time they were 1 3\4 apart at the 10 o'clock position. Has me wondering if it is a fluke? I made sure my rifle hold was consistent, not resting on the sling stud etc. Just not sure what to think. Chrono numbers looked decent, 35 fps ES and 12 SD average of 2740 fps. Brass was once fired Remington, CCI 200 primers.

Rifle is a new Weatherby Vanguard with the bronze cerekoting. I am beginning to wonder if it is a bedding\ stock issue. I pulled the stock off to adjust the trigger, weatherby specifies 35 inch lbs torque on the action screws but I dont have a torque wrench...or maybe it is just a strange fluke???!!! Thoughts, advice? Thanks

Last edited by Jevyod; 10/16/21.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.